9/4/13

Colin Geddes' "Ask Me Anything" on Reddit!


Last week, Colin and a few other programmers took on all comers for an ask me anything event over at Reddit. The entire conversation is here, but here are some highlights:

Reddit: What filmmakers have you truly discovered?
CG: Eli Roth; Alex Aja; Takeshi Miike; Adam Wingard; Tony Jaa; Hitoshi Matsumoto; Julien Maury + Alexandre Bustillo; Ryuhei Kitamura; Christopher Smith.

R: Please name a film or two that you're excited about. 
CG: I am super excited for ALMOST HUMAN, a first time film that I've selected in Midnight Madness. Great thriller by a promising young talent, Joe Begos! And my colleague Jane has programmed a film with Joel Eggerton called FELONY that I am stoked to check out

R: How many films do you watch in a year when looking for TIFF films?
CG: I lose track over how many films I watch that are considerations for TIFF, but this year I tried to keep a log and when it hit around 180 I stopped counting!

Almost Human

R: Is there a MM film that you could recommend in this year's slate that might not be classified as a 'horror' film, but is perfect for the Midnight newcomer?
CG: Good question! I always have to work against the misconception that Midnight Madness is just about horror and gore, but we screened BORAT and THE RAID! This year, maybe try to have them come to R100 (sexy kinky strange comedy from Japan by the country's biggest comedian) or WHY DON'T YOU PLAY IN HELL (slapstick with some ridiculous Kill Bill level action) or the madcap WITCHING & BITCHING. Check the TIFF website for trailers to see if your pals would like them!

R: Some of my favourite screenings over the years have been controversial ones. I'm thinking of one's that angered the audience, like Ken Park. I remember Larry Clark and Edward Lachman stood their ground and challenged the audience to get past yelling insults and have a discussion during the Q & A. Any moments like that to highlight?
CG: I LOVE screenings like that, but it can be daunting as a programmer who has to be a referee! Screenings that spark discussion are the best. In Midnight Madness we had a doc that had a fictional thread in it called S&MAN that disturbed the audience, but then was revealed in the Q&A. A memorable night!

Witching & Bitching

R: Do you have any favourite heroic stars/directors who showed up to all screenings?
CG: Always juggling schedules which makes the talent attendance at 2nd screenings hard, but this year I have some directors who are staying in Toronto for 11 days! They want to be part of each and every screening of their films. Troopers! And I have some Midnight Madness alumni who are showing up even though they don't have a film in the Festival this year!

R: What's the best "you're an ass for not selecting my film" phone calls you received?
CG: The "best"? Ugh. Never. Those calls are the worst, but luckily they are few and far between. Producers and directors must think long term and not short term. Often times if I can't pick a film, I still try and help the film and pass/suggest it to other festivals or people who can help. This year I've picked a film and in the past I had to pass on the director and producers previous films, but this year they delivered at last! Love their spirit!

R: There hasn't been a Martial Arts film in MM (other than The Raid) for several years. Where are all the good Martial Arts films???
CG: I KNOW! Sadly THE RAID 2 was only just completed. Fingers crossed I can get it for next year. I was waiting on the new Donnie Yen film, but it was not ready in time :( There is martial arts in WHY DON'T YOU PLAY IN HELL! And see you at the Ryerson b/c I think I know who you are! Continuing your annual TIFF film vacay from south of the border like usual!

Why Don't You Play In Hell

R: I'm a big fan of Ti West's previous films and would love to take a (albeit, sensitive) date to see his newest THE SACRAMENT. Just how brutal is it? What was Eli Roth's influence as producer?
CG: It is not brutal. More of a thriller. The Eli Roth stamp does not mean there is gore or brutality. Remember he did THE LAST EXORCISM which was not so gory.

R: If you could re-program one film that you selected over the past 10 years - perhaps one you felt didn't find it's audience or get distribution - what film and why?  
CG: I picked a film in 1998 for the Midnight Madness selection called HEAVEN from New Zealand by Scott Reynolds starring Karl Urban, Martin Donovan and Richard Schiff that didn't get the attention or release that it deserved. Seek it out!

R: Other than the French films, what are some movies with female nudity?
CG: Didn't you hear? France outlawed nudity this year in cinema.

R: Colin used to program just Midnight Madness, but now he also does Vanguard, how did that happen? And can he program the rest of the festival too? I would go to an Everything Colin Likes Festival, and I'm sure he has nothing better to do with his time.
CG: Where is the LIKE button on this thing!?!?

R: Any plans to allow TIFF patrons the option of printing their own tickets?
CG: in 2020 we hope that you can print your own cinema on 3D printers.



ALMOST HUMAN Screening Times:
Tuesday, Sept 10th, 11:59 PM RYERSON
Wednesday, Sept 11th, 7:15 PM SCOTIABANK 3
Friday, Sept 13th, 2:30 PM SCOTIABANK 9


R100 Screening Times:
Thursday, Sept 12th, 11:59 PM RYERSON
Friday, Sept 13th, 11:30 AM SCOTIABANK 9
Saturday, Sept 14th, 9:00 PM SCOTIABANK 10


THE SACRAMENT Screening Times:

Sunday, Sept 8th, 5:15 PM THE BLOOR HOT DOCS CINEMA

Tuesday, Sept 10th, 9:45 PM SCOTIABANK 7

Friday, Sept 13th, 8:45 PM SCOTIABANK 3


WHY DON’T YOU PLAY IN HELL Screening Times:
Friday, Sept 13th, 11:59 PM RYERSON
Saturday, Sept 14th, 3:45 PM SCOTIABANK 1

WITCHING AND BITCHING Screening Times:
Saturday, Sept 14th, 11:59 PM RYERSON
Sunday, Sept 15th, 12:00 PM SCOTIABANK 14

No comments:

Post a Comment